Sunday 20 July 2014

One last festival...

Time had flown by and somehow it's my last fortnight in India!

Predictably the last wee while has been filled with festivals, functions and fun at Devnar.


 With the days left slipping away, I really appreciate being here and spending time with these amazing people. Each day I have a handful of classes, editing work and other responsibilities. Going to miss this daily routine, chaotic noise and endless energy of these amazing children.

A few breaks from the daily routine.

Functions 

 The classic Indian experience. Hours of sitting in rows surrounded by sheets hug up and decorated with flowers and ribbons listening to endless speeches. I've been lucky enough to participate in multiple functions where it's often my role to keep count of and guide the kids and be the "interesting foreigner."
  

Most recently, the function was Founder's Day, the annual celebration of my Host and School Founder, Dr. Goud. As well as the standard sitting, speeches and gazebos there was a free health check-up for pupils from visiting doctors. 

Dr. Goud
 It was a nice celebration. Dr. Goud's achievements are astounding. Founding Devnar School and building it up from nothing is just the start. He is also an accomplished optometrist with his own practice and much more.

staff photo




Functions have surprisingly formed a significant part of my gap year. Countless hours I've spent sitting through speeches and eating free food. Now they'll no longer be part of my life, I can appreciate those opportunities to meet new people, learn new things and help the pupils to do the same. 

Festivals 


Another quintessential Indian experience and one which never fails to surprise and entertain.


Ramzan 

This month is the Islamic festival of Ramzan involving fasting from dawn till dusk and feasting the rest of the time. Now, I haven't been participating in this particular festival aside from I have sampled the festival favorite, Haleem.


Old city is the best place for shoes!
Indescribable

Bonalu Festival

Back to Hinduism as I was awoken with a summons to the temple to celebrate the Bonalu Festival which is special in Telanagana (the state in which Hyderabad is situated).

Traditionally a meal of specially prepared rice is given at a temple to the Mother Goddess. This meal is carried on women's heads in a pot adorned with Neem leaves and smeared in Turmeric.

Dramatic processions throng the streets with colorfully costumed performers. Sadly, I missed these but here's some photos of the chaos we're all missing!



My experience of the festival was more low-key but no less bizarre. 
Padma, my Indian mother, was coating a metal pot in turmeric, stuffing it with leaves and setting the whole thing alight when one of the uncles appeared in the doorway a live chicken in each hand. These too were coated in turmeric.

Our School's Bonalu 
 The burning collection of metal, rice, spices and leaves were hoisted up onto a pupil's head.


Thus our procession began.



The motley crew made their way along the local street, winding their way around other worshipers in the crowded temple. The rice from the pot was poured out as an offering.



Now I'm counting down the days with mixed emotions. The thought of returning home to my family and friends in Scotland is a relief. After a year so far away from them I am really excited to be reunited and bore them with tales of this year. Then after a month I'll finally start University. I have a lot to look forward to! 

But... it does mean leaving India and all the amazing people here. I've learned to love with the chaos and i'll miss it! I have been so lucky to come here and participate in the work of this incredible institution.  











Thanks again for all your support in this most incredible year of my life so far. 

See you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment